cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

Created at 15 May 2023, 14:15
How’s your experience with the cTrader Platform?
Your feedback is crucial to cTrader's development. Please take a few seconds to share your opinion and help us improve your trading experience. Thanks!
CT

ct56423

Joined 11.05.2023

cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11
15 May 2023, 14:15

I installed cTrader 4.7.9 on Mac, using Parallels and Windows 11 (currently the trial period for both). cTrader works fine with manual trading on a demo account. 

I also created a new cBot, left the code unmodified (the code simply prints Hello World in the onStart method), built it, added an instance. When running it, nothing happens, there is no message in the Log tab. I also tried running and backtesting some of the sample bots but after the backtesting data is loaded, nothing happens.

As an alternative, I also downloaded cTrader from the purpletrading.com website. When trying to run the cBot with that version, cTrader freezes and then quits.

Has anyone run cBots on a Mac successfully and could point be in the right direction how to fix the problem? Thanks very much!

@ct56423
Replies

ctid3999979
31 Jul 2023, 17:24

I do the same. I have problems opening a cBot in VS, which I then resolved by installing .NET SDK 6.0.412 ARM, x86 and x64 from here:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

I then had to add C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\ to my system (not user) environment variables. Then everything started working for me.

However, I'm assuming that, this is due to cTrader being an x86\x64 application and needs lots of translations to ARM, backtesting runs incredibly slowly on my M2 Max and 64GB RAM compared to my work Surface Pro 8. Even if I beef up the Parallels VM with lots of CPU and RAM.

@ctid3999979

ctd8172
21 May 2024, 11:50 ( Updated at: 21 May 2024, 12:36 )

HI - having this problem as described, have tried the solution of installing the 3 dotnet versions and editing the PATH, didn't help.

Just checking in really in case there are any developments - I really need to be able to run backtests from my Mac.

Thanks all.

@ctd8172

PanagiotisCharalampous
21 May 2024, 12:37

RE: cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

ctd8172 said: 

HI - having this problem as described, have tried the solution of installing the 3 dotnet versions and editing the PATH, didn't help.

Just checking in really in case there are any developments - I really need to be able to run backtests from my Mac.

Thanks all.

Hi there, 

This scenario is not supported for cTrader. If you want to use backtesting, at the moment you can do it by using cTrader on Windows.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ctd8172
21 May 2024, 13:20

RE: RE: cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

PanagiotisCharalampous said: 

ctd8172 said: 

Thanks all.

Hi there, 

This scenario is not supported for cTrader. If you want to use backtesting, at the moment you can do it by using cTrader on Windows.

Best regards,

Panagiotis

thank you - I do understand the Mac version of cTrader doesn't support backtesting. What I'm trying to do is work out why I can't use the Windows version with Parallels to do that. 

@ctd8172

PanagiotisCharalampous
21 May 2024, 14:24

RE: RE: RE: cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

ctd8172 said: 

ctd8172 said: 

Thanks all.

Hi there, 

Best regards,

Panagiotis

thank you - I do understand the Mac version of cTrader doesn't support backtesting. What I'm trying to do is work out why I can't use the Windows version with Parallels to do that. 

Windows on Parallels is not supported either.

@PanagiotisCharalampous

ctd8172
21 May 2024, 15:46

RE: RE: RE: RE: cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

ctd8172 said: 

ctd8172 said: 

Thanks all.

Hi there, 

Best regards,

Panagiotis

OK thanks for the confirmation.

@ctd8172

ctd8172
21 May 2024, 15:46

RE: RE: RE: RE: cBot problems on MacBook + Parallels + Windows 11

ctd8172 said: 

ctd8172 said: 

Thanks all.

Hi there, 

Best regards,

Panagiotis

OK thanks for the confirmation.

@ctd8172